Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)
The Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) was established in the year 1875 as the Native Share and Stock Brokers’ Association. It is the first and largest securities market in India. The BSE is based in Mumbai. It lists close to 6,000 companies. It is considered as one of the largest exchanges in the world. The other major stock exchanges across the globe include the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), Nasdaq, London Stock Exchange Group, and Shanghai Stock Exchange.
The BSE has helped in growing the Indian corporate sector. It has developed the country’s capital market, including the retail debt market. The BSE also includes an equities trading platform for small-and-medium enterprises (SME). It has the distinction of being Asia’s first stock exchange. It provides other capital market services including clearing, settlement, and risk management.
- The Bombay Stock Exchange is Asia’s first exchange, it was established in 1875 as the Native Share and Stock Association.
- By providing an efficient platform for the Indian corporate sector for raising investment capital, the BSE has been pivotal in developing India’s capital markets.
- It is known for its electronic trading system which provides fast and efficient trade execution.
- The BSE helps investors to trade in equities, currencies, derivatives, and mutual funds.
- The Bombay Stock Exchange provides other important capital market trading services including risk management, clearing settlement, and investment education.